Where's the innovation?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Where's the innovation?
From: Scott D Kohl <sdkandlsk1@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 08:44:04 -0700
I've always felt that the problem in this country is that there seems to
be a preoocupation with 'originality', whatever that means.  In the home
counties, there is less of a 'holy grail' attitude.  We see lots of
street rods and pumped-up muscle cars here, don't we?  Did you see the
article in Practical classics about modded Spits?  I daresay most of the
Spit owners here would never think of doing these things to their cars.
I though the wheel adapters were a great idea, and he'll sell you a set
for half of PRI's price.  There are any number of suppliers/shops there
that do the same kind of work to Triumphs, MGs, Big Healys even.  I am
most definitely interested in bringing the performance standard into
modern times (including replacing powertrain components with ones that
won't break when pushed), and feel the disappointment of high prices
keenly as well.  I still feel the implementation of a nationwide rolling
exemption from emission testing, a la California, is the only way the
'later' classics (Spits/TR6s/MGBs) are going to stay on the road, and
perhaps ring up a few more sales for some of the currently non-legal
goodies (OR tests in two areas. I'm not in one)

Scott Kohl
3 Triumphs, 1 Citroen, 4 Toyotas