Re: Lucas

To: "Pettis, Ward (NIH/NIDCD)" <pettisw@ms.nidcd.nih.gov>,
Subject: Re: Lucas
From: "Ree Gurley" <reegurley@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 23:29:41 -0400
Ward said:

 Ok, guys, my tach, gauges (gas and temp) and turn signals are not working.
 First, it would come and go, now just mostly dead.  Sometimes, they would
 partially work until I apply brakes, the tach needle would just drop to
 zero.

 So must be the voltage stabilizer behind the speedo right?  I received the
 new one and I tested it briefly.  Didn't seem to make a difference.  Will
 try to install completely to test further.  Anything else I need to check?

        Sounds like a bad ground(s).  I had a similar experience with my '78
and got everything back on-line by             attaching new ground-wires to
each individual component (LOTS of spaghetti under the dash!).  Only later
did I discover that the underdash grounds all join together into one big
ground-wire which is screwed into         the firewall (engine-side) to the
left of the battery.

 BTW, how do you guys take off the heater knobs?  I don't seem to have an
 allen wrench small enough to fit the bolt.  I've got four or five sets,
none
 will fit!!

        I too have several allen-wrench sets, but only one small enough for
the heater knobs.  I guard it carefully,             keeping it stowed in a
foam block so I won't lose it.  You're welcome to borrow it (I'll be home
tomorrow,             but not Tuesday); if you want to, contact me off-list
or call at 301-949-9552.

Cheers, Ree G. - 78 Spit, runs good except for cloppity-clop from rear upon
decelaration
                               77 Spit, looks good but sudden lack of power
(suspect fuel-line blockage)