Reproduction parts and limited runs?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Reproduction parts and limited runs?
From: "bschwart@postoffice.pacbell.net"
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 07:59:21 -0400
Have we as a society lost something??  I can never understand why it is no
longer profitable to make parts in a limited run ( not one or two parts
mind you but say several hundred or even a couple thousand which is a
limited run by most standards)  The GT6, while sharing many of the same
parts as the Spitfire had many unique parts (the rear hatch, glass, and
trim, comes to mind  some of which probably had runs of only 20 thousand
or so  definitely a very limited run by any auto makers standard, and they
managed to make them  and I suspect  at a profit
Just a thought I have mulled at over the years  obviously something has
changed and I dont think necessarily for the better