Re: Reproduction parts and limited runs?

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Reproduction parts and limited runs?
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 08:27:59 -0400
I can see two reasons immediately not to do limited runs, particularly
for something like the GT6.

First is taxation.  You pay inventory tax on the items you have on the
shelf.  Doesn't matter how dusty they are, you pay taxes on them every
year.  That's why it hurts to maintain a good inventory, and why many
businesses clear out inventory when they are scheduled to quantify it
for tax purposes.

Second has to do with the customers.  I've been selling Triumph parts,
particularly GT6 parts, and it just isn't fun dealing with Triumph
owners by and large.  Fiat people, Volvo, Toyota, and Honda are all far
better.  Those people will actually buy the parts, and not give you a
line of bellyaching and insults in the process.  Honestly, it's why I
don't bother to offer parts to people on the Triumph lists any longer.

>>> "bschwart@postoffice.pacbell.net" <bschwart@postoffice.pacbell.net>
06/24/03 07:59AM >>>
Have we as a society lost something??  I can never understand why it is
no
longer profitable to make parts in a limited run ( not one or two
parts
mind you but say several hundred or even a couple thousand which is a
limited run by most standards)  The GT6, while sharing many of the
same
parts as the Spitfire had many unique parts (the rear hatch, glass,
and
trim, comes to mind  some of which probably had runs of only 20
thousand
or so  definitely a very limited run by any auto makers standard, and
they
managed to make them  and I suspect  at a profit
Just a thought I have mulled at over the years  obviously something
has
changed and I dont think necessarily for the better

The information contained in this communication may be confidential, is
privileged.
If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this
communication, or any of its contents, is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this communication in error, please re-send this
communication to the sender and delete the original message and any copy of it
from your computer system. Thank you.