RE: Reproduction parts and limited runs?

To: "Gosling, Richard B" <Richard.Gosling@atkinsglobal.com>,
Subject: RE: Reproduction parts and limited runs?
From: Douglas Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 11:42:22 -0400
At 01:42 PM 6/24/2003 +0100, Gosling, Richard B wrote:
>It could be because cars are, relatively, cheaper now than they used to be.
>While it may have been economical in the past to produce things in
>relatively small numbers, the car makers have now got making things cheaply
>in large numbers down to such a fine art that there is a much bigger step up
>in cost if something is to be made in limited numbers.  But this is all just
>theorising on my part, not a definitive answer!

Remember that our cars were produced by companies that were in the process of
dying.
So it is not really accurate to say that they were "successful" at producing
cars
in limited runs.

These days, cars seem to have lots of variations, and every year, they change
things,
like body sheet metal, that Triumph tried really hard to avoid changing.
I assume that CAD design and modern tooling techniques make it much
easier and cheaper to successfully modify a design and change the affected
tooling.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit