floor pan gauge etc.

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: floor pan gauge etc.
From: sinclair@degenkolb.com
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 20:05:35 -0800
I'm having some repairs made to my floor pans.  It's not a complete
replacement situation, just a strip along one the side.  The bulk of the
floor poanel is in OK condition so I'm thinking this will be a easier route
than complete replacement.  The middle of the pan has thinned out somewhat
and has some rust holes but is probably salvageable. My questions are: - am
I foolish in thinking repair is a good option - should I just order a
replacement floor panel and be done with it?  If not, I'm wondering what
gauge sheet metal I should get for the repair, and a good place to buy it.
I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area.
FWIW I'm interested in a driver not a show car here.

On another topic.  I'm adding the mounts for an early convertible frame to
my MK3 tub (thanks Joe!).  I'm wondering what the installed position is of
the mount - say the top of tube elevation and the angle of the tube - ISTR
that it's not perfectly vertical. If anyone has a photo or could take a
measurement I'd be very grateful.

Have noticed a steady decline in the spitfire list traffic vs. the triumph
list over the past six months or so. Not a big deal I suppose but perhaps
it's time to stir things up a bit...

I always thought that Michelotti's finest achievement was the Spitfire body
shape. Sublime.  It's a shame that most of the big TR owners will always
have to live with the knowledge that they are running a distant aesthetic
second, despite the bigger price tag.......

Over to you.....