Re: Probably a really stupid question, but...

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Probably a really stupid question, but...
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 17:08:30 +0000
On Tue, 27 Jan 2004, at around 13:13:18 local time, "DASHWOOD, Dean, FM"
<Dean.Dashwood@rbos.com> wrote:
>Mike,
>
>That is terrible that someone would do something like that to Carly.  One
>night, several years ago, someone bent one of the wiper arms on Christine,
>and I thought that was bad, but it's nothing compared to what poor Carly is
>being put through!

Dear Dean,

It really is bizarre.   Whoever is doing this is spending quite a lot of
time, and even a little money on it.   A year or so ago, Carly was
"egged" with three dozen fresh eggs, bought from the supermarket
half-a-mile away that very day.   How do I know?   They left the
egg-boxes.

>  Have you considered getting locks for her bonnet
>catches?  It wouldn't have prevented the Christmas tree incident, I know...

I have considered it, yes.   But since these were not fitted to Carly
from new, I'd hate to spoil her originality.   And the attacks have
always been irritating and occasionally expensive, rather than downright
lethal.   The day a brake hose is cut, or a fuel line...

>On to your current problem, though - from my limited knowledge, I would be
>looking at the carb, too, as well as the fuel supply to the carb.  Apart
>from a that, the other thing which immediately springs to mind (and is very
>easy to check) is to make sure that the plug leads for cylinders 3 and 4
>haven't been reversed.  Might also be worth doing a compression test - a
>blown head gasket might cause similar symptoms.

I haven't got a machine for testing compression, but I'm pretty
confident that this is not the problem - as you will have seen from
another message I posted a few minutes ago, I have at least equalised
the HT lead removal effect by playing with the tuning.

>  Anything else I can think
>of would be pretty major.  But then what do I know?  I mainly wanted to
>commiserate with you re. the vandalism.

It is appreciated: thank you.

ATB
--
Mike
Carly  - 1977 Inca Yellow Spitfire 1500 FH105671