RE: Tonneau Covers

To: "Spitlist" <spitfires@autox.team.net>, "NASS" <nass@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: Tonneau Covers
From: "Gary" <garytash@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 15:25:33 -0800
Finally been working on putting the 78 spit rear end back together,
starting with the new U-joints on the axle shafts.  All of the joints
are exceptionally work exceptionally smoothly except the last 1/2 joint
to the axle yoke.  And I have not been able to get it to "feel" right.
It feels 'bound up'(not really moving freely) or tight (like you can
feel the bearings running on the surface of the spider), even before the
cups are in far enough to seat the circlips.  After seating the
circlips, I make sure the cups are fully backed out against the clips.
It almost seems as though the cups may be misaligned.  This is a used
replacement axle shaft/yoke.

I have renewed 3 or 4 sets of u-joints before. Always had to work at
getting them right, but always been able to get them 'smooth' as . . .
well whatever.

Feedback would be appreciated.  I am wondering if I might have gotten a
bad u-joint (it's a Hardy Spicer);
Should I chuck this one and buy another;
Install the shaft the way it is (something I never would normally
consider but I've sort of lost perspective on this.)

Thanks for any insight and feedback.

-Gary