Re: Tonneau covers

To: <dungey@pearcem95.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Tonneau covers
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 00:44:34 -0000
Were the studs on the dash panel in a standard place?

Yes. Complete assemblies were pre-drilled in jigs

I recently purchased a Tonneau cover which was advertised as original for Mk
1 or Mk 2 Spit.  Just tried it on the car and whilst the back studs fit, the
ones at the front which fit onto the dash panel are nowhere near.  It also
has studs down the sides, ie to fit on the doors.

Tonneau covers were also hole-punched in jigs under a certain amount of
pre-tension. At the same time the L-T-D / Dzus fasteners were also fitted.
My Mk 3 had door studs that lined up with those on the cover

Is it that my Mk 1 is too early and never had studs fitted and someone has
done so over the years?

Could well be. Early Spitfires did have the reputation of the passenger
tonneau side lifting like a horizontal sail and then pulling out the studs
at the front. Studding the doors added useful extra anchorages and cured the
problem.

Jonmac

---