RE: Tonneau covers

To: "'jonmac'" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>, <dungey@pearcem95.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: RE: Tonneau covers
From: "Bill Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 21:00:10 -0000

Not a definitive answer, but an observation. A few years ago I bought a
reasonable quantity of NOS Stanpart spares following the closure of a local
garage which had previously been a Triumph dealership. Included were several
Spitfire tonneau covers. These were very difficult to identify with
certainty as though new, there was no packaging with any traceable number.
Luckily I had access to plenty of Spitfires to compare against. One of the
significant points with the early (Mk1-3) tonneaus was the positioning of
the eyelets which locate onto the dashboard fixings. These were in one of
two distinct positions, the centre eyelets on some being very close together
either side of the zip, while on others they were spaced further apart. I
never did establish when the change was made, but there certainly were at
least 2 different configurations produced at the factory,
        Cheers,
                Bill.

Rarebits4classics

PO Box 1232