front trunnions

To: <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: front trunnions
From: "Larry Vaughan" <lvaughan@pldi.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 00:49:50 -0500
I have a Bentley manual and a Haynes manual. Both say tighten the front
trunnions finger tight, then back them off enough for full lock operation.
What is finger tight? Till you meet resistance against the rubber or till you
can no longer tighten with fingers?

I have new trunnions and finger tight till you can't tighten anymore distorts
the rubbers. I have to back off two full turns before the rubbers don't
distort.

I have six or seven old rubbers, none are distorted and a couple are hard as
rock. I put one of the petrified rubbers on a good vertical link and screwed
on a good trunnion. Tightening till I met resistance and backing off left the
rubber intact. Tightening till I couldn't tighten anymore with my fingers
split the rubber.

I think you would want as many threads engaged as possible but it puts the
rubber seal under more pressure than all the other rubber seals were under.

Larry