Re: Rear shock mounting - clarified

To: Barry Schwartz <v6spitfireguy@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Rear shock mounting - clarified
From: "M D \"Doc\" Nugent" <docnugent@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 15:16:33 -0800 (PST)
I see how my question was unclear - what I meant was
could a SECOND pair of upper rear shock mounts (aka
body mounts) - cut from a Spitfire frame in this case
- be used to extend the upper shock mounting points
outward when using GT6+ rotoflex rear suspension on a
GT6+ frame?

Moving the shock tops outward (more vertical to clear
the rubber doughnuts) seems to be what Joe Curry's
race and street bars do (see
http://members.cox.net/spitlist/Race.jpg photo) and
that's where I got the idea.  I just don't think I
need the entire bar across the top.

Now:
1) If they're out far enough to clear the doughnuts
but not so far out that they rub against the tires, is
any particular angle in that range okay?
2) Does the hole need to be higher than the one for a
Spitfire, too, or just farther from the diff?
Approximate differences would be appreciated (e.g., my
guess is the hole needs to be 3" outward and 1" upward
of where they are for a Spitfire).

And, again, I'm not concerned about potential
interference with the body because there won't be one.

M D Nugent
Renton, WA

--- Barry Schwartz <v6spitfireguy@cox.net> wrote:

> While Im not sure which mounts you are refering to,
> since all GT6's and Spitfires have the same upper
> shock mounting points on the rear frame
> sturcture, which are part of the frame and not
> removable.  They are just not used in the GT6
> rotoflex . . . if you are using the rotoflex axles
> then stock frame mounting locations cannot be used
> because the shocks will hit the rotflex joints . . .

Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
www.yahoo.com