Re: 15" Wheels and tire

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: 15" Wheels and tire
From: "M D \"Doc\" Nugent" <docnugent@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 08:52:24 -0800 (PST)
There won't be any change in a CAD drawing of the
suspension's arcs, but the plus two wheels/tires WILL
change the real-world geometry.  Better grip between
tire patch and road will compress the suspension
bushings more, making their pivot points change, and
slop from sidewall flex with "old style" tires will be
gone, so the bushings and bearings can be expected to
fail sooner.  Small stuff, but real.  For plus two
wheels/tires to achieve their potential, you need
non-flexing bushings (polygraphite, etc.) to keep the
suspension pivots in one place.

As to performance, I'd bet you could find a 13"
autocross tire that would outperform 15" low profile
street tires.  All you really get with plus two
wheel/tire combos is a different look - not
automatically better performance.

M D "Doc" Nugent
Renton, WA

http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo