Re: 15" Wheels and tire

To: docnugent@yahoo.com, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: 15" Wheels and tire
From: Tburke4@aol.com
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 12:27:04 EST
Doc is quite right. In suspensions designed to use modern low profile tires
and larger diameter wheels, part of the benefit is that you can put the
suspension pivot points further apart. By the same token, if the tire/wheel
stresses
are focused on certain suspension components from a different angle (than the
angle it was designed for) there's potential for failure. On the Spitfire,
that would stress the trunnions, which are none too sturdy to begin with.

ISTR that when the LPT/LDW craze began, all the manufacturers took great
pains to tell everyone that they would void their warranty if they used such a
setup because ti stressed the suspension so. Maybe they still do??

I guess we will all have to consider 14" wheels if 13" tires start to
disappear, but 15"-16" rims might be a little extreme.

(Then again, I suppose that's the idea, right, Joe?).

Tom Burke