Gearbox leak

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Gearbox leak
From: Kevin Rhodes <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 22:38:58 -0400
I have kind of a wierd gearbox oil leak that has me puzzled. This is
a 77 gearbox with O/D. The leak is from the very top of the
transmission, seems to be from the coverplate over the area where the
shift rod goes in. Hope that makes sense. There is a little plastic
gizmo (probably a vent?) in the middle of that plate, this seems to
be the leak point. This gizmo has an outer ring, and a middle part
that slides into it, friction fit. The outer part seems to have a
piece cracked off it. I can't find this piece at any of the usual
parts places. Does it make sense that this is my leak? Oil is
definitely filling up the top of that plate and running down the side
of the tranny. Exhaust side of course! It's not a huge leak, but it
means Freddy is marking his territory in my garage and gear oil
smells bad! And cooked gear oil smells worse!

Kevin Rhodes
Freddy the Spitfire