1500 project car for sale, Bedford, England

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: 1500 project car for sale, Bedford, England
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 17:41:03 +0100
Dear All,

I am reluctantly parting with Carly, my 1977 Spitfire 1500.   She failed
an MOT on welding work last year, and my mechanic and I agreed that
further repair work was a waste of time and money: she needs a complete
body-off restoration.   It is clear that I am simply not going to get
around to that.

Good bits:
Replacement engine fitted prior to my acquiring her, professionally
stripped and rebuilt a few thousand miles ago; recon gearbox fitted
shortly afterwards.   Good tyres.   Swanky radio-cassette player with
removable front (ideal when parking a convertible).   Many new parts.
Everything is present and correct for a Spit of this vintage.

Bad bits:
Frankly, the bodywork looks great from a distance and in photographs,
but could do with restoration (or replacement); the chassis is little
more than a series of strong welds held together by rust and ideally
needs complete replacement.   Interior is rather tatty.   Speedo drive
gear is incorrect, and milometer reads 9% low (speedo needle has been
adjusted to show correct speed).

She comes with a replacement soft-top in good order, and I might be
persuaded to throw in my refurbished factory hardtop if the price was
right.   Obviously, I would like to get as much as I can for her, but I
am a realist, and am fully aware that she is worth nowhere near the
thousands of pounds that the TSSC valued her at last time around.

For piccies and further details of the work that has been done on her,
please see

http://www.hargreave-mawson.demon.co.uk/Spit.html

and

http://www.hargreave-mawson.demon.co.uk/Spitdiary.html

- both of which show her as she was when still on the road.

So, anyone want to make me an offer?

ATB
--
Mike
Ellie  - 1963 White Triumph Herald 1200 Convertible GA125624 CV

===     http://www.vtr.org