lights wiring dilemna

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: lights wiring dilemna
From: "Paul Meyer" <paulfmeyer@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 18:00:55 -0400
Hi Folks,

5 years ago, when I got my '78 Spitfire, it suffered several intermittent
electrical problems (no surprise there).

Since then, I've resolved most of the gremlins.  I replaced the frame
ground, went to the GM alternator, and cleaned many of the contacts that
were suspect.  I still don't trust the readings from the fuel guage or temp
guage, but a replacement voltage regulator is on it's way.

Recently, one of the more annoying gremlins returned.  When I turn on the
headlights, I get only headlights.  The dash lights, side marker lamps, rear
lights, brake lights, and reverse lights refuse to turn on.  Oddly, my turn
signals work fine.

Five years ago, I tackled this problem by replacing all the rear bulbs,
cleaning the bulb contacts and applying dielectric grease to the fittings I
cleaned.  When I finished, they worked fine, but on rare occasions they
would drop out, but return.  I attributed this to Lucas black magic, and
counted myself lucky.  I had suspicions that somewhere in the body harness,
a wire had found a more convenient route to ground, but wiggling the
harness, or checking the visible parts did not provide much help.

A few weeks back, the problem returned, but the lights are stubbornly
refusing to come on.  I just inspected all the rear bulbs and found one bulb
needed replacing.  To my eye, all the connections look clean and in good
condition.  I assume the fuse is fine, as other items that depend on it are
working ok.

I downloaded the wiring diagram available on www.triumphspitfires.net, as I
couldn't decipher the one in the haynes manual very well.  After staring a
good long time, it would seem that every light affected has one common wire:
the solid red wire that goes from the main pin on the body harness, through
the car to the back, and then pigtails to almost every light (except the
turn signals).

Here's the question:  Has anyone else had a similar problem, and was it the
red wire?

If so, what do you think my best course of action is?  I can replace the
body harness in it's entirety, as they are available (spitbits and
Rimmerbros.com), but if someone has a simpler/cheaper/better option, I'm all
ears.  Does it make sense to replace just the red wire?

Guidance, advice, and experience gratefully accepted.

Paul F. Meyer

Home Phone:    781-551-8574
Cell Phone:       781-801-3170
e-mail:               paulfmeyer@msn.com