Re: [Spits] Electric Fan Power

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spits] Electric Fan Power
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@rcn.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 18:58:40 -0500
On 21 Feb 2009 at 17:01, Daniel Parrott wrote:

> Has anyone tried to re-wire the circuit so that the fan
> can continue to operate even after the car is shut down?

Hmmm, I haven't but I can't think of any reason why you couldn't,
provided you trust the switch actually to turn off so the battery
doesn't run down.  But consider this, without the engine running the
water won't circulate through the radiator and block but so fast.
The water pump won't be working so the only driving force will be
convection.  If your problem is due to the carb getting hot, then
maybe having the fan run air under the bonnet for a while will cool
it down anyway.  But it's gonna' take a lot of cooling to bring the
block temperature down.  That means it will take a lot of time and
battery power.

On a slightly different tack, a PO had wired a manual switch under
the dashboard to control the fan which eventually became mine.  (Long
story, not worth re-telling, but related to overheating.)  I wired it
in parallel to the radiator switch.  This lets me watch the temp
gauge (hey, it must be good for something) and anticipate when the
fan might come on.  Can't say it help but on a hot day it might let
you get a jump on cooling before you're going to park.

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller@rcn.com