Re: [Spits] Electric Fan Power

To: <jimmuller@rcn.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spits] Electric Fan Power
From: "John Macartney" <standardtriumph@btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 01:00:14 -0000
> On 21 Feb 2009 at 17:01, Daniel Parrott wrote:
>
>> Has anyone tried to re-wire the circuit so that the fan
>> can continue to operate even after the car is shut down?

Jim Muller's observations are all valid and sensible. I've had a number of
modern Euroboxes over the
last 20 odd years whose electric fans ran briefly after switch-off. Querying
why they did this and
purely out of curiousity I noted that:

1 A still running electric fan was only on hot days or after prolonged idling
in traffic, and
2. The 'stat was opening and closing far more frequently than I'd appreciated.
I tested that with a
lab jar, thermometer and the 'stat on the household cooker!

I noticed too that sometimes the fan would cut in again after a few minutes and
run for up to half a
minute. This was operated by a small thermoswitch in the cooling system as an
OE fitment and got
activated with a continuing supply of overheated water through syphoning and
entering the radiator
via the 'stat jiggle pin which in turn raised the temperature of the water in
the rad.

All the cars in question had mainly alloy engines and this enabled them to cool
down far faster than
cast-iron units, so what is the main reason behind the query Daniel?

Jonmac