Re: [Spits] Electric Fan Power

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spits] Electric Fan Power
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@rcn.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 20:25:04 -0500
On 22 Feb 2009 at 1:00, John Macartney wrote:

> Jim Muller's observations are all valid and sensible.

Thank you, sir.

> I've had a number of modern Euroboxes over the last 20 odd
> years whose electric fans ran briefly after switch-off.

Back in a prior life I bought a new '74 Fiat X-1/9.  First year they
came out, I believe, certainly the first in the US.  Marvelous little
mid-engine throw-about but anemic in the engine department.  This was
the height of the era of clean-exhaust regulations with only marginal
technology to get it done.  Carbs were set so lean that hot-starting
was always problematic.  With the engine packed into the middle of
the car and surrounded by insulation, the problem was even worse.
(Th radiator was up front.)  So Fiat installed a thermo-switched fan
just to blow on the carb to prevent vapor lock.  One didn't want to
stall the engine on a hot day; it might be 5 minutes before it would
start again.  It was disconcerting to park the car and hear the fan
click on as I walked away.  It never ran the battery down, but this
was a dedicated small fan for the carb, not the general-cooling
radiator fan.

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller@rcn.com