RE: Kingpin bushings!!!

Subject: RE: Kingpin bushings!!!
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 21:14:57 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Here is the THEORY why this doesn't work correctly.
If the reamed bushings are not aligned perfectly, the kingpin will not go
through, obviously.  The only way to compensate is then to ream the holes
a little bigger until the kingpin will fit.  However, since the centerline
of the bushings are now not parallel with the centerline of the kingpin,
the kingpin touches the bushings only in two spots (in the cross section),
on one side at the top and on the other side at the bottom.  While
initially you have a tight fit, the contact points will wear quickly and
the assembly will be very loose very soon.

Then again, you could get lucky and the bushings might line up.

Ulix

                                                           '67 Sprite