Re: REAR AXLE SEALS

To: Daryl May <mayfam@sprynet.com>
Subject: Re: REAR AXLE SEALS
From: Randell Jesup <Randell.Jesup@scala.com>
Date: 03 Feb 1998 12:30:40 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Daryl May <mayfam@sprynet.com> writes:
>The VB and Moss catalogs show an oil seal outboard of the wheel
>bearing.  The car and the Haynes manual show this oil seal inboard of
>the wheel bearing.  (I am not referring to the O-ring, which is
>definitely outboard.)
>
>The car has no evidence of an outboard oil seal.  If this is right, the
>bearing should run in grease rather than axle oil, and the presence of
>oil in the bearing implies a bad oil seal?

        Hmmm.  I don't remember any oil seal other than the O-ring and
gasket for the halfshaft.  Also, I remember no maintenance item for
greasing the rear bearings, nor is there any way to do so reasonably.  Thus
I conclude that the rear bearings are meant to be lubricated by the axle
oil.  I could be wrong, but I have removed and replaced halfshafts, rear
bearings, many years ago.

--
Randell Jesup, Scala US R&D, Ex-Commodore-Amiga Engineer class of '94
Randell.Jesup@scala.com