Re: REAR AXLE SEALS

To: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Subject: Re: REAR AXLE SEALS
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 14:38:14 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Basically, the single ball bearing design is marginal.  The axle flange is
forced to accept "wobble" loads that eventually break it because of
inadequate support by the bearing.  To check the bearing, pull the axle out
and see if the hub can move in and out at all - should be very little play
in this direction.  then, see if it can move up and down.  Again little or
no play is desired.  Then, see it it can be rotated up and down - "wobble".
Almost all hubs will wobble to some degree.  Finally, check that the bearing
rotates smoothly, with no roughness evident.  Repack with grease if the
bearings are new, or just reassemble and let the axle oil do it's thing.

The real fix is to install double bearing hubs that add an extra bearing
just behind the oil seal on the inside of the hub.  This fixes the problem
forever.
Brian