Re: 1098 vs 1275

To: TMHEFFRON <TMHEFFRON@aol.com>
Subject: Re: 1098 vs 1275
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 08:13:41 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
If you're planning to use the car on the street, I'd avoid changing the
throat of the carb's at all - while it improves ultimate HP potential, it
really screws up low speed and part throttle running.  Basically, the other
mod's you mention - the butterfly stuff, and thinning down the shaft - won't
make a difference you can feel, or measure without a dyno, so I wouldn't
bother.  A half point in compression ratio will get you more...unless, of
course, you're building an SCCA race motor, in which case every possible mod
is required!

How do I know this, you ask?  He points silently to the fully modified pair
of SU's lying under the workbench that flow beautifully, but don't run worth
a damn under 6000 RPM...I went back to the Weber.

Brian