Re: Running Out Of RPMs

To: <Spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Running Out Of RPMs
From: "Ron Soave" <redlotus@spacey.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 08:41:25 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
>   You were right the first time, the load on the engine is much
> higher at higher speeds, and the fuel consumption is much higher. You
> probably also have the throttle more wide open to acheive this.

Right. All "external" loads go up with speed - you've got drag increasing
with speed, higher drivetrain losses, windage, increased friction from
tires heating up (I know, I know, the coefficient of friction is
temperature independent, but the rubber softens and losses go up for a
given compound), etc.  Eventually, you hit the "thrust = drag" point, and
thats it.  You're making energy in the cylinders and dissipating it in a
lot more places at speed.