Re: Insurance

To: "William M. Schickling" <bugeye@dreamscape.com>
Subject: Re: Insurance
From: "Steve Byers" <byers@cconnect.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 17:08:07 -0400
Cc: "healeys" <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>, "spridgets" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hi, Bill.  Your statement made me curious about whether things had changed
with State Farm, so I went to see my agent today.  She confirmed that in
North Carolina, the "Friend to Insurance" state, you either have liability
coverage on your car or you turn in your license plate.  And if you don't
turn in your plate within some specified limit (24 or 48 hours, I forget
which) after dropping insurance, the DMV will hit you with a hefty fine.
State Farm does not have a reduced premium coverage in North Carolina like
you do.  The good news is that she suggested an alternative:  transferring
plates.  I can drop the coverage on the Healey for as long as it is out of
action, and transfer the plate to another car (turning in the plates on
that car, of course).  The fee is only $10, but it's a whole lot better
than the liability premium.  So.....thanks for inspiring me to check it
out.

Steve Byers
Havelock, NC USA
'73 Midget GAN5UD126009G  "OO NINE"
'66 BJ8  HBJ8L/36666  "TARHEELY"
'63 BJ7 HBJ7L/20111 "HEALEYUM"
"It is better to remain silent, and be thought a fool
than to speak, and remove all doubt"  -- Mark Twain

----------
> From: William M. Schickling <bugeye@dreamscape.com>
> To: byers@cconnect.net
> Subject: Re: Insurance
> Date: Monday, April 13, 1998 9:04 AM
>
> Steve,
>
> Originally You wrote.

> >on
> >next
> >garage
> >daily
> > >driver.
>
> Maybe in NY it's different.
>
> What State farm allows anyone to do is go in and say I am not going to
drive
> my car for x period of time. They will reduce the the cost for that
period
> of time but keep the insurance at a level to allow you to keep the
plates.

> I pay the $ 46.00 (that's two cars for six months) just so I don't have
> turn in my plates.
> Of course the liability is very low, but there, so the DMV doesn't come
> after me.  If I want to drive the car all I have to do is call my State
Farm
> agent and tell them. The car goes back to full coverage that day.
Otherwise