Re: Insurance

To: <b-evans@ix.netcom.com>, <transerv@sprynet.com>
Subject: Re: Insurance
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 09:42:49 +0100
Cc: <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
We keep an old Mini built to French spec at our home in France for use when
we can escape from England for an entirely different way of life.
When I first bought the car and went through the process of insuring it, I
asked if it was possible to obtain cover just for the periods we would be
using it. The answer was an emphatic 'No' and I understand you can only
change or 'cancel' your insurance arrangements if you are moving to another
company for cover or sell the car and do not replace it. So, as the car is
an 'occasional driver' its still licenced and insured for the whole year.
In addition, it's a legal requirement in many European countries (not yet
in the UK) to display a tear-off portion of the insurance document on the
inside of the windshield. On our car, this tear-off bit shows the insurance
co name, names of insured drivers, car details, policy number and from/to
period of cover. Identical details are repeated on the main document which
has to stay in the car at all times in the event of accident or casual
roadside check by the police. I know from experience that the penalties for
driving without the original insurance document in the car, plus the title
and Accident Statement form are severe. I did this one day after I had
finished cleaning the vehicle interior. I'd gone down into the local town
to buy some food for a barbecue and got 'roadchecked.' Simply because I had
left the plastic wallet with all the papers in it at home in the garage, I
was relieved of a cheque for about $170. One of the gendarmes showed a
little pity and compassion (which in itself was highly unusual) and told me
that if I visited the police station the next day with the folder in
question, they MIGHT consider giving me back my cheque. They did (after a
stern lecture and finger wagging) - but it could have been a very expensive
learning curve. That goodness I had my chequebook with me! It doesn't bear
thinking about what might have happened if I'd left that at home too.
John Macartney