The time has come....

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net, healeys@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: The time has come....
From: b-evans@ix.netcom.com
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 1998 10:15:58 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
The latest issues of "Austin Healey Magazine" and "Chatter" have brought
me to my senses and made me realize how stupid I am when it comes to
money.  They also serve as monumental examples of the foolishness of
having two major Austin-Healey organizations in America.

First, I received "Chatter" with a three-page article, "Healey
Heritage", by Jeff Knudsen.  A couple of weeks later, I received "Austin
Healey Magazine" with word for word exactly the same article, as well
as  three of the same photographs, but entitled "Old Racers Never Die".

It all made me begin looking more closely at both magazines.  The
duplication of commercial advertising, duplication of classified
advertising, their own "house ads", and overly generous use of "white
space" makes me wonder at why I am spending the money.

I suspect that like the overwhelming majority of "members" of both
organizations, I am really just a subscriber to their magazines.  But
the preponderance of material relating to social events or gatherings of
an overwhelming minority of "members" does not interest me.  The amount
of space devoted to the continued lionization of members of the Healey
family neither educates nor entertains me.  As a former newspaper
editor, the costs of white space filler offends me.

Why, then, have I been sending in my "dues" to be a "member"?  What IS
being done with my dues?  Beats me.  Certainly, I would like to know how
the dues are being spent--not as budgeted, but as expended.

It would seem to me that there really needs to be some serious thought
to consolidating the two organizations.  Or explain to me why I should
continue to give both my money.  Or why I should give it to one, but not
the other.  There is absolutely no reason I should have to pay for such
duplication.

Bob Evans
Anaheim, California
Frogeyes AN 5L/762,  AN 5L/26893