LONG Re: The time has come....

To: b-evans@ix.netcom.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: LONG Re: The time has come....
From: "Editors, Molecular Vision" <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 13:08:27 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
At 11:22 AM -0500 6/11/98, b-evans@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> Lordy! I never realized that when I raised a few questions about "national"
> clubs and magazines that I would strike such a sensitive nerve. ...
>
> In the meantime, I thought I would share with everyone a sampling of the
> comments I have received:

Whoa! A little dangerous publishing private email meant for your eyes only.
Hope you asked those folks if they wanted their opinions in the public
sphere.

Before we go too far down this path, let's note a couple of things.

To my understanding, both AHCA and AHC-USA are completely volunteer
organizations. That means that the people doing the work that results in
whatever benefit members receive (and we can argue plus and minus later)
are members just like us. Period. Thus, there should not be an attitude of
"them" vs "us". As Pogo said, "We have met the enemy, and he is us!"

I raise this point because of my background. I have been involved in many
successful volunteer efforts, both short- and long-term. There is
absolutely nothing more frustrating than trying to do the best you can only
to be treated by _fellow members_ like the proverbial idiot on the other
side of the counter. The goals of a membership can only be met if the
members communicate their hopes and expectations to the people actually
doing the work. Better yet, roll up your sleeves and lend a hand.

How many of us who have concerns about either or both groups have ever
taken the time to send in a well-considered letter (not some off-the-cuff
rant) to the president of either club? I have no idea if many have, but by
my experience with other groups, probably a few to none. Well guess what:
If you haven't, you're part of the problem, not part of the solution.
Luckily, communicating your concerns is just a mouse click away.

Another mindset I've experienced with other groups is the assumption that
the people doing the work form some type of clique. Well, this certainly
can be the case. Many times volunteers work long hours together doing
relatively thankless tasks. Under those circumstances you either end up
loving or hating your fellow workers. However, if the volunteer effort is
successful over time, you can bet it's not because the workers grew to hate
one another. So now you have a de facto clique. And it's a clique that
_appears_ to wield arbitrary power because often its members are forced to
make decisions without the benefit of input from the general membership
(sound familiar?)

Do you know how hard it is to join the "those in power" clique? It usually
takes one email or one phone that begins with "I'm a member, and I was
wondering if you need help with..."

ALL of my comments are naive and general. I've only owned my Sprite a
little more than a year, and have been a member of national groups for a
few short months. For all I know, the officers of both groups are
puppy-killing fiends from hell.

But, I seriously doubt it.

Jeff Boatright  '65 Sprite MkIII   __o_\__
http://userwww.service.emory.edu/~jboatri/