Re: Horns

To: Spridget List <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Horns
From: Jeff Sharpe <jsharpe@501studios.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 1998 15:57:11 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
For what it's worth, both of my horns were sick - one dead, the other just
'acked' at me.  The 'ack' was a positive sign to me, so I tore them apart.
By cleaning the internal contacts with a burnishing tool and contact cleaner
(duh) I was able to bring them back to life.  Their note is adjustable with
the screw on top - a very limited range.  If I were doing it again, I
wouldn't adjust these until they were working again - if you adjust them too
far either way they won't work at all.

I had an internal 'open' in one of them which I tracked down with an ohm
meter (cold solder joint). The body is ground, so watch yourself, and make
sure that the insulating gasket is intact between the two halves.  You can
do this work on the bench with a battery - it's fun!  I currently have the
two horns tuned to resemble a startled moose....

Jeff