Re: Leaking fuel pump

To: David Ramsey <dwramsey@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Leaking fuel pump
From: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 10:28:16 -0400
Cc: shk <shk@qnet.com>, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
David Ramsey wrote:

> Hi,
>         Sounds like you have one of the new Canadian Mechanical Fuel
> Pumps?  If so they are junk and the case is probably cracked (even if
> you can't see it).  I went through three of them before I gave up.
> You can use the diaphragm from it to rebuild your original pump or
> you can go to NAPA auto parts and get an electrical fuel pump, they
> sell two types one for around $30 and another for $50.   I have the
> $50 one and it works great, other people tell me that the $30 one
> also works fine.  I have done both and had no problems with either.

The fuel pump on my 77 Midget does not work.  I checked it by placing a
cup under the line that feeds the carburetor.  I then disconnected the
line that feeds from the gas tank and connected the fuel pump intake to a
small can of gas and cranked the car over.  No gas appeared in the cup
at the carburetor intake.  That line has always been bone dry, even
when I removed the carburetor.  From this I concluded that fuel pump is
bad.  I was just going to replace it with another mechanical pump but
seeing this thread I now have some questions.

1. Should I just try replacing it with a new mechanical pump and make
sure that it is not a Canadian Mechanical Fuel Pump?
2. Should I convert it to an electric pump, and if I do what are the
advantages?

If I do go with an electric pump
        a.  Where does it get mounted?
        b.  Is there a blanking plate to replace the mechanical pump or
        do I just leave the pump in place.  If I leave mechanical pump in
        do I plug the intake and outflow holes?

I am leaning towards a mechanical pump because it seems like the easier and
cleaner solution.

--
William M. Gilroy
1977 Midget (still DOA, but no longer flat lined)