SUMMARY: Insurance for LBCs

To: mgs <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: SUMMARY: Insurance for LBCs
From: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 1998 14:51:34 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
About 1 month ago I posted a question about insurance for a LBC.  I got
back lots of responses.  They seemed to fall into 2 categories.  The first
is some type of collectors insurance.  The second is a regular policy, but
one that allows you to suspend the liability portion (which is the lions share
of the cost) during months you don't drive.  If you are interested in
collectors insurance you should get a copy of Hemmings Motor News.  They
have most of the big companies listed.  A partial list that I checked with
is:
        1.  Hagertys
        2.  Grundy
        3.  American Collectors Insurance

I decided to go with my regular carrier and suspend the liability portion
when I don't drive the car.  You should check around, some companies are more
flexible on this.  Some require you to suspend it for a minimum period of time,
such as 30 days.  Other companies want you to provide proof that you have
surrender the plates.

My main concern was that collectors insurance generally spell out that you
cannot drive the car to work, only to car shows, use it in the sprit of a
collectors car.  I feel I would not be able to meet these restrictions and
living in such a sue happy society, I choose a regular policy.  Call me a
chicken but I have seen both laywers and insurance companies in action.

Below are some of the responses that I received.  I hope I have not offended
anyone by including them.  If I did let me say I a sorry.  Thanks to all who
replied and to the person (sorry I forgot your name :-( ) who called.

--
William M. Gilroy
77 Midget about to go on the road

===========================  cut here  ==================================
Give Parish Motorsports Insurance in Nashville, TN a try.  They specialize
in collectors car insurance.  You supply a few photos, and presuming you're
not claiming the value to be over 50K, you probably won't need an appraisal.
... insured with American Family Insurance since 1985.
Last year my insh man called me and indicated his underwriter decided to
change to what I would call a "seasonal" type of insh.  Since I only
drive the car in the summer and then only a small amount they decided to
change to this type of coverage which greatly reduced my payment.
I bought my insurance from American Collectors, ...
2) You might want to contact a regular insurance company and see of you can
get a reduced premium based on a limited number of miles/year.  Also see
how the feel about a regular cycle of dropping the car back to "comp" (fire
& theft only) insurance over the winter when you're not driving it.
I have had good results with J.C. Taylor, 800 345.8290.
I would check with your home-owners insurance. While your car is in your
garage it should be fully covered under that policy.
Have you priced regular  insurance through Metropolitan Properity and
Casulaty?
You may want to check with a couple of "regular" car insurance companies. Some
may let you drop the collision part of the policy for the months that you
don't drive it.