Re: Clutch replace

Subject: Re: Clutch replace
From: Robert Duquette <RobertDuquette@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 1998 18:01:43 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Message text written by Robert  Duquette
>>How good is your will power?  Good luck.
>
>Dave Hiley
>'72 MKIII<

I finally did get the engine out ( but not in Hayne's 4 hours).  The
porta-boom doesn't fit under the car, so I had to put the front wheels on
bricks.  (Do normal people put the car on stands?)  The exhaust/manifold
clamp was a beggar.  (Next time I think I'll go get them cut off and
replaced and then drive home and remove the fresh ones.)  I never did get
the rad's umbilical cord off (the temp gauge sensor), but the wire was long
enough that I can take the rad out and place it in a (kid's) wagon.

My brother warned me (by phone) to block up the transmission before pulling
the engine.  I think that that was a good thing.

Got the engine out and found that the engine stops an inch short of the
floor.  #;^( >
(used 2x4s covered with cardboard)

Tons of oily stuff in there, but the clutch wasn't fouled (I think).
Here's the question: 'The flywheel seems to have been scored by rivets from
a previous clutch.  There is a groove in both the pressure plate and the
part of the flywheel that the clutch hits.  I am replacing the pressure
plate.  Should I be doing something with the flywhell, like having it
turned or (gasp) replaced?'  If I do, then I have to return the porta-boom
on Tues. am and re-rent it in the future.  My weekend project will extend
to who knows how long.  Then you can be sure the already over budget Sprite
will get a couple of gaskets (those side cover things under the manifold
were loose (and they have cork gaskets but a catalogue says rubber for
1098)) and some paint and ...

Spousal approval is wearing thin (especially since I was 'tapping' on the
exhaust clamp at 7:20 this am outside the bedroom window).  Should I try to
slap it back in tomorrow or extend the task he muses to himself?  I figure
the odds be 50/50.  The responses about the flywheel and whether I can find
some bolts for the engine stand may determine my autumn.  If I have to wait
for the flywheel, the snowball has started (in 80 degree weather?).

Advice?

Robert
'65 Sprite (Fay)