Re: Too Many Messages?

To: Daryl and Jennifer May <mayfam@sprynet.com>
Subject: Re: Too Many Messages?
From: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 09:47:11 -0400
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Daryl and Jennifer May wrote:

> I counted 104 messages in the last 24 hours.  Much as I like most of the
> content, I sense the trend is up, and that too much of a good think isn't
> as good as less.

Daryl, I am sending this to the entire list because other people may feel
that this is a problem.

The techno weenie in me speaks.  One solution to this type of problem (if you
consider it a problem) is to use a threaded e-mail reader.  Threaded news
readers
have been around for years, mostly used for reading netnews.  I currently use
netscape as an e-mail reader.  To make my life easier and avoid missing really
important messages I also filter my messages using the 'Edit/Mail Filters' that
are available with netscape.  This allows me to move the mgs messages to one
folder and the spridgets messages to another.  With a threaded reader if I don't
want to read a thread I can select one message in the thread an issue a
'Shift+C'
to mark the entire thread as read. You can choose to ignore the thread also
which
will mark the new messages as read.  You can also use the filter feature like a
Kill File (for the old netnews dudes) and send some messages straight to the
trash bin.

If a mail/news reader is any good it should have these features whether it is
GUI based or command line based.  A tool like this can make you life much easier
in dealing with e-mail messages.  Take it from a guy who gets way to much e-mail
and junk e-mail.  If I did not have tools like this available to me I would go
nuts.  I am not sure what type of tools are available for the AOL people but
this cannot be the first time someone thought of this.

If you have any questions feel free to mail me.
--

Bill Gilroy
77 Midget