Re: a Very Sad thing

To: <GMari58175@aol.com>, <macleans@earthlink.net>, <carlson@navtech.com>
Subject: Re: a Very Sad thing
From: "Robert B. Houston" <transerv@sprynet.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 11:49:17 -0700
Cc: <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
On the not so lighter side, older trailers have a DOT bumper...piece of I
beam about 4 inches thick, about 24" off the ground.  This puts it just high
enough to slide over the hood and fenders and into (read through) the
windshield.  Most trailer rear axles are set far enought forward to allow
penetration under the trailer at least this far.

Newer trailers have a cow-catcher rear bumper designed to keep cars from
inserting themselves underneath, but that just means a heavier steel wall to
crash into.

Tractor trailers are a necessary fact of transportation life on our
highways, and I make my living through them, but when driving on the
highway, I am always aware of them, and give them as much leeway as
possible.  80,000 pounds does not stop on a dime, move much when you crash
into it, or veer defensively worth a darn.

Let's all be careful out there folks.

Robert Houston
74 Midget, Katy