heads off, what next

To: "'wmgilroy@lucent.com'" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Subject: heads off, what next
From: Ed & Ida Townley <townley@zianet.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 11:23:21 -0700
Cc: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Bill:  I agree with Geoff.
 Having recently helped rebuild a 1500, I would suggest the following:
1. take head to reputable auto machine shop(With Manual) for them to check
clearances, valves, guides,springs, etc.  Then order the parts the shop
says you need, and authorize them to rebuild head as needed.
2.  Drop pan (or pull engine-this can be done without pulling trans, but
you have to remove steering brackets on front cross-member, after removing
grill and  radiator) and if you do nothing else, check crankshaft to see if
it moves back and forth, (back of engine to front) Excessive movement means
you probably have worn the pesky thrust washer at rear of crank)  if worn
too much, you might have already found one or both washers lying in the pan
when you removed it.  These can be replaced in situ, but it is easier if
the block is sitting on a bench.
3.  If engine is removed, take to machine shop for them to clean and check
clearances and specs of everything-I am a firm believer in spending a
little money now in preventative maintenance, so I won't have to remove the
thing again for another 5-10 years-I replace clutch and throw-out bearing,
new pilot bush in rear of crank, have flywheel checked and resurfaced if
needed, and/or new ring gear installed if starter has chewed up old one.
        I would also recommend replacing the normal stuff, rings, new main and
rod
bearings, and make sure the shop checks your cam for wear.  One note of
caution if disassembling, look closely at the cam and crank shaft sprockets
for timing chain.  The one we took apart did NOT have alignment marks,
which makes it a BEAR to re-time unless you make your own marks.
4.  this is also a perfect opportunity to replace oil pump an water pump,
but is not "required"  if old ones appear ok.  Whew, I'm tired just
thinking of all this stuff.  Good luck, and keep the list informed of your
progress.

        ED in NM
59 AN5
65 BJ8
78 XJ12(lump)
71 TR6
58 FX3 Austin taxi (Neville)

 In a message sent 11/26/98  Geoff Branch said
< "Now about the your engine.  I'm one of those sick guys that if I'm this
far into it I say screw it and drop the pan, inspect the bearings, yank the
pistons, check the rings & their clearances and generally go WAY to far
overboard.  All the tolerances are in the Haynes manual, and I'm sure
others on the list will help with any questions.  But you probably
shouldn't listen to me......
Geoff Branch  '74 Midget "Yellow Peril"    and wants a
bugeye">-----Original Message-----