Dip stick spacer.

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Dip stick spacer.
From: "Noel, William M" <noel@BATTELLE.ORG>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 1999 15:03:21 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Just inserted the dipstick tube into my '72 Midget 1275.  The dipstick is
till loose and rattles around in the tube.  Seems I recall reading that
there is a felt/wool spacer that fits around the dipstick and seals the
tube.  Is this correct?

I have looked at the catalogs that I have and don't see a part like the
spacer?  Is spacer/seal required?  Won't oil be pushed from tube if no
spacer is present.  I drove car approximately 20 miles without tube last
Oct, and I don't recall any excess oil on the engine.

Suggestions as where to get or jury-rig spacer?  Thanks for help in advance.

BTW, I am getting really excited, have had the Midget for over a year but
have only been putting time in on it since August.  I am almost ready to
start the engine after tranny rebuilt, new clutch, wiring harness.  Had
hoped for a New Year's engine start up, but too cold in Ohio for any garage
time so still holding; and dreaming of those heated garages.

Bill Noel
noel@battelle.org
phone (614)424-4917
fax (614)424-3152