Re: need honest response.....please

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
To: dpc@ai.mit.edu
Subject: Re: need honest response.....please
From: type79@ix.netcom.com
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 09:22:22 -0600 (CST)
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
On 03/02/99 09:37:57 you wrote:

>I sell car parts mail order and would like to pass on some
>advise about UPS "insurance".  I once shiped a sway bar (1 inch
>thick spring steel) to a custumer who received it bent.  I tried
>to collect $60 for the damage and was informed that the sway bar
>had not been packed well enough.  I told them in would have taken
>literally tons of force to bend it, but to no avail.  Lesson: UPS
>insurance is for lost articles only.  (I hear that a
>professional packer will insure for damage.)
>
>I doubt that the seller mentioned received anything from ups.

Hi,
I beg to differ on that. First a disclaimer: I don't work for UPS.

I have worked with UPS insurance as a buyer and as a seller. UPS has
defined packing guidelines for articles sent through them. These can be
viewed at their site: http://www.ups.com/

Basically, they recommend 4" of packing on all sides and require a
minimum of 2" on all sides. I believe they also mention that corrugated
boxes should not be reused and should be sturdy so as to "do their job".

In my experience, if those guidelines are met, reimbursement is made
without question or hesitation.

For the ultimate protection, use a service like Mailboxes, Etc. (I don't
work them either.) and let them pack it. Then, if UPS denies coverage,
Mailboxes, Etc. will cover it.

This subject is a sore point with me as I sometimes purchase item from
eBay sellers. The overwhelming majority of these sellers seem to assume
that the US Postal Service and UPS are in the egg business and Never
toss a box Nor place anything on top of something else.

I'm getting dizzy on this soap box. Time to get down.

Jay Fishbein, CT