Re: need honest response.....please

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: need honest response.....please
From: type79@ix.netcom.com
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 14:26:35 -0600 (CST)
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Whoah Horsey!!
This idea has been thrown around before, maybe on the Healey List, and
it sounds great.

We compile and continue to add to this nice neat list which contains
info that says Jay bought from British ABC Parts and thinks theier Gods
and that Debbie bought from Spurts and Crashtecs and they are even
better and so it goes.

Then someone finds out that Jay thought British ABC Parts were great
because they supply great original stuff, albeit at high prices, and
they are disappointed because the CRAPA store two states away will sell
the "same" part for 70% less. Another lister contacts Spurts and
Crashtecs only to find out they ONLY sell poor repro stuff, but that met
Debbie's criteria and thus her recomendation.

So then we categorize what vendors sell. Sure no problem. The Fred touts
the virtues of Gross Motors, they have everything and ship everything
out really quick. Paul calls them, buys some parts, doesn't s**t from
s**t, get real pissed and bad mouths them to the list without
justification.

I could go on and on with examples, but you should get the drift. You
can't categorize every vendor and every BUYER.

Sounds like a great idea but just like the 60's, great ideas don't
always work out.

Whew!

If everybody would just ask alot of questions when, scratch that, BEFORE
they make a purchase, some of these pitfalls could be avoided.

Before I go I will give you another example. I bid on some NOS
taillights on ebay a few weeks ago. I didn't place the high bid. Some
kind soul contacted me after the auction to tell me that he had the
exact same assemblies, also NOS. The only difference was that they were
not in the boxes. Well, like my good friend J.H. said many years ago, I
may be dumb but I'm not stupid. I thanked the gent but declined his
offer.

You know not everything is quite as rare as its made out to be. Sure
some stuff is truly rare, but 90% of this stuff can be found somewhere
at some time. Just be patient and be willing to wait. Whether it be a
$10.00 part or an entire car. Unless you really want a rust bucket or
are determined to show-off your welding talents, I will never understand
why some people will jump at the chance to buy a piece of garbage tub
just to have a car ASAP when they can wait, even if its a year, for a
good car to pass their way which would be better than the rust bucket
could ever be and probably at less total money invested.

OK. I'm out of breath and now my monkeys in the marachino cherries.
Damn it!

Jay Fishbein, Ct
AN-5
HAN-6
Innocenti-S

On 03/02/99 10:17:03 you wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>These are my thoughts on this subject. I think we all should post names
of
>people we buy things from good or bad. If we were to say " I bought
such and
>such from Allen H and it was AOK bla bla or if we were unhappy say so.
Then
> [...]
that are
>looking to make money off the Internet and a policy of posting names
would
>make them think twice.
>
>FWIW
>
>Jon
>71 midget
>So Ca
>>Well spoken David.  I think the vast majority of us are honest about
>dealings
>>with other people, but the buyer still has to be aware of what might
>happen.
>>
>>"Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me!"
>>
>>Don't give up on the list, Susie!  This is a valuable resource.
>Reluctantly,
>>I have to agree that you should post the name of the person who caused
this
>>thread, so that we all can be aware.  Perhaps if this person is a
lister,
>they
>>will come forward, rectify the situation with you, and get back in our
good
>>graces.
>>
>>Let us know what you think.
>>
>>Allen Hefner
>>'77 Midget
>>'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport
>>
>>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>>
>>In a message dated 3/2/99 6:43:32 AM Eastern Standard Time,
>Lancer7676@aol.com
>>writes:
>>
>><< In a message dated 3/2/99 0:15:47 AM EST, GMari58175@aol.com
writes:

>> <<  I  always thought this group was a little more honorable towards
each
>>   other.....or is it just certain ones to beware? >>
>>
>> I like to think this too--I look at this exchange as a "safe haven"
where
>> can ask a question and know I am going to get a reasonable response--
not
>like
>> some mechanics who will answer with $ signs in their eyes.  By the
same
>>token,
>> I like to think that we all will be up front and honest about our
selling
>> items back and forth, and so far I have not been disappointed.  In
fact I
>>have
>> gotten a lot of stuff just for the asking, and have sent some stuff
just
>for
>> the asking.  And then there is stuff that we buy and have no need for
that
>we
>> must ask a fair price for.  On here, from my personal viewpoint,
anything
>>that
>> I send, donate, sell, will always be accepted back (within a
reasonable
>> time--after a little while I am going to buy a beer with the money)
if it