colors and accidents

To: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Subject: colors and accidents
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 12:19:34 -0500
Cc: Mark Snowdon <racer45@bellsouth.net>, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Larry Macy wrote:

> The only survey I remember stated that Yellow cars were involved in the
> least accidents, and red, since it looks very dark at night, were the
> most likely to be involved in a night-time accident. I don't recall the
> rest of the stats but I beleive I saw it in R&T about 10 or so years ago.

The common sense answer to this color vs percent of accidents is that
there are more red cars on the road then there are yellow cars.
Just look around. This was the case about 10 years ago.
Wanna bet this year that same survey shows beige jelly bean cars
involved in the most accidents?  Or maybe green minivans!
A few years back it was silver car that replaced the red cars, look back
to the late 80s/early 90s. I think Honda only offered silver.
Drive around and just count how many of one color you see.
Camaflouge colored cars are invovled in the least accidents. How can
that be, if they are camaflouge you should not see them right? But how
many are painted that color. ;)
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ