Re: Busted axle shaft?!!

To: "Packy Coleman" <deadboy@hooked.net>
Subject: Re: Busted axle shaft?!!
From: "Mike Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 11:17:16 +1000
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Around here you can find 2nd hand axles for about A$60 or about US$35-40

I assume you have steel wheels and not wires....

The shafts most commonly break at the flange (ripping the center
out of the flange). This is due primarily to cornering loads. This is a
5-10 minute repair,

1) remove wheel, and brake drum

2) undo 3 phillips head or allen head countersunk bolts and pull off the
broken flange.

3) using vise grips or similar extract the broken shaft. If you are unlucky
you may have to remove the good half shaft on the other side and push the
broken shaft through with a broom handle or similar

4) replace with working half shaft and assembly is reverse of dissassembly

If on the other hand the half shaft has broken at the splines at the
differential,
then you really have to remove the diff. You therefore have to remove both
wheels, drums, half shafts (actually just pull the good one out 6-8 inches)
so the the diff can be removed.

Note that when you replace a half shaft, you should only use a half shaft
from the same side of the car. If they aren't in the car, you can tell by
the
wear pattern on the splines. The worn edge (deformed, shiny) is the driven
side. You can  figure it from there.

Hope that helps

Mike
p.s. I'd use new gaskets and o-rings. They are cheap. If you use them,
pre-soak the gasket in gear oil. You can get by with just silastic - the
choice is yours.