Re: Busted axle shaft?!!

To: Mike Maclean <macleans@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Busted axle shaft?!!
From: HFC <froggi@cdsnet.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 16:09:11 -0700
Cc: andy webster <trunkie@hotmail.com>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Spridgeteers,

My British Leyland "Mechanical Service Parts List" manual, dated 1969, lists
the same part numbers for disc wheel axles as Mike Maclean quotes.  This
manual covers Sprite AN5, the Mk II and Midget Mk I.

Checking three (twisted) axles out in the shop shows the following numbers:
#1) 2A7085  EN17H,  #2) 2A7085 1556?& JGSB, #3) BTA501 1556?H5 JGSB.  With
the "?" being a character I can't read.

Unlike the other two, the EN17H actually has "cracks", which may be
indicative of hardened, more brittle metal.

Any ideas on the #3 axle's origin?

Anyone else with axles handy so we can compare what seems to be good from
bad?

Herb in Grants Pass, Oregon