Re: Busted axle shaft?!!

To: "Mike Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>, Bruce Lowry <hotwheels@longviewtx.net>, Packy Coleman <deadboy@hooked.net>
Subject: Re: Busted axle shaft?!!
From: "Peter C." <nosimport@mailbag.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 08:37:00 -0500
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Bruce,
        I taught my girlfriend how to drive a stick in my '65 Midget. Her
learning
the clutch bit and "jerky" starts and shifts resulted in the untimely
demise of the left axle. As it happened it broke at the differential/spline
end. In fact it mushroomed the end such that I couldn't pull the axle out
(and of course couldn't pull the 3rd member). This was in my youth and I
stared and scratched my head for quite a while. A puller wouldn't do, what
to pull from? It had wire wheels and the only solution I could come up with
was to buy a used knock-off, drill it and use a healthy slide-hammer. It
worked very well. As this was before "the list" (actually before computers,
almost before telephones, in fact) I had no one to ask. Is there a better
way to yank the axle when it breaks there? Mike G.'s scenario of the axle
breaking at the wheel is a lot more appealing than what happened to me.
That was the first and last axle I had to deal with. I hope if your axle is
broken, it's at the "friendly" end.
        I noticed you recently changed your clutch?....Does it grab a bit?....
        Good luck.  Peter C