Quick paint primer for Dummie

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Quick paint primer for Dummie
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 14:17:35 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I need a couple of words of wisdom from someone who has done some car
painting.  No, I will not paint my car.  It was painted a couple of years
back, but only the outside.  My engine and transmission are out, so I want
to paint the engine compartment.

I bought a little paint gun with built in gas cartridge.  I figure this
will work fine for painting such a small area.

My main problem is that I know nothing about paint except the kind in
spray cans :-)
I have the "recipe" for my paint which I will take to the paint store.
But what do I buy?  I guess I need primer, paint and thinner (is that
called reducer?).  What kind do I want, how much?  (I can't really go back
and ask what was used when the car was painted.)

TIA,
http://students.washington.edu/~ulix/         '67 Sprite     '74 X1/9