Re: Advice sought, minor LBC

To: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Subject: Re: Advice sought, minor LBC
From: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 00:46:14 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net

Frank Clarici wrote:

> Fellow listers, especially guys with daugters who drive.
>
> My daughter gets her license Wednesday, she will be taking over our
> Austin A40.
> It was *her* car all along, I just had the pleasure of restoring it.
> I want to teach her basic troubleshooting just incase her 40 year old
> car breaks down on the road.

1)  After you teach here how to change a flat tire, teach here WHERE to
change a tire.  I can't tell you how many times I see people changing
tires on highways with almost no shoulder, on bridges, on curves, etc.
It is better to drive the car to a safe spot and change it there.  You
may ruin the tire and the maybe the rim in the extreme case, but it
is easier to fix them, then your daughter.  If there is no really good
spot near by, show her how to minimize the danger when in this situation.

2) Show her how to light and place flares.  I still feel these are the best
thing around for a broken down car.

3) Teach here never to backup on a highway, or back down a ramp because
she missed a turn or took the wrong turn.  While this may work most of the
time, when it goes wrong it usually is in a big way.  It is much safer to
take the next exit and turn around, or just get back on the highway.

Bill Gilroy
77 Midget
90 Shar-Pei