Re: Update

To: "J. Adrian Barnes" <adrian@icx.net>
Subject: Re: Update
From: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 10:27:01 -0400
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
"J. Adrian Barnes" wrote:

> I drove it up the street and back, a wee bit nervous to go
> very far in it.  Especially since the windshield is just
> sitting on it.  :-)  It seems to be spurting out oil, so I
> need to look at that.

Reminds me of my free 77 Midget.  My car ran real badly and one
of the problems turned out to be the dizzy was really worn.  Frank C.
was kind enough to swap my worn dizzy with one that was in much better
shape.  Then I got the engine better tuned, timed etc.  What happened
next was when the car ran closer to spec. and when I revved it above
2K I had so much blow by that the oil would spurt out of the
dipstick.  It would land on the exhaust pipe and burn off in a small
cloud.  A compression test revealed that the following number:
1 = 110 PSI, 2 = 40 PSI, 3 = 60 PSI and 4 = 160 PSI.

So I replaced the engine with another one.  Still have to rebuild
the original engine, but time is very tight.  So a compression test
might give you some insight, but if the oil is coming out the dipstick
I can think of two things: bad rings or overfilled the oil.

The car also takes 20W-50.

Later,

Bill
E-mail:    wmgilroy@lucent.com