Re: Update

To: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Subject: Re: Update
From: "J. Adrian Barnes" <adrian@workgroup.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 10:33:12 -0400
Cc: spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I saw evidence that indeed, oil was blowing out the dipstick (but the
cardboard I put under the car last night revealed multiple leaks this
morning!).  My compression test showed high compression across all the
cylinders, and after running, the compressions were all within +-2 pounds
of each other (right at 120).

My thoughts are that either I have a bad oil ring or that the oil is too
thin.  I hope that the oil is just too thin.  I need to change it again
anyway, as I'm sure there's a lot of crud building up in it.  The spark
plugs were wet (that was before I did my fuel system maintenance) and I
can't remember if it was oil or gas.  Probably oil, since that's more
expensive to repair than too much gas.  Some higher force just doesn't
want me driving a Midget.  ;-)

Thanks,
adrian

"William M. Gilroy" wrote:

> Reminds me of my free 77 Midget.  My car ran real badly and one
> of the problems turned out to be the dizzy was really worn.  Frank C.
> was kind enough to swap my worn dizzy with one that was in much better
> shape.  Then I got the engine better tuned, timed etc.  What happened
> next was when the car ran closer to spec. and when I revved it above
> 2K I had so much blow by that the oil would spurt out of the
> dipstick.  It would land on the exhaust pipe and burn off in a small
> cloud.  A compression test revealed that the following number:
> 1 = 110 PSI, 2 = 40 PSI, 3 = 60 PSI and 4 = 160 PSI.
>
> So I replaced the engine with another one.  Still have to rebuild
> the original engine, but time is very tight.  So a compression test
> might give you some insight, but if the oil is coming out the dipstick
> I can think of two things: bad rings or overfilled the oil.
>
> The car also takes 20W-50.
>
> Later,
>
> Bill
> E-mail:    wmgilroy@lucent.com