Local Shops, Was Re: Wire Wheel Woes (NO LBC content)

To: shawn tobin <suhs2@hotmail.com>
Subject: Local Shops, Was Re: Wire Wheel Woes (NO LBC content)
From: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 00:29:06 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net

shawn tobin wrote:

> I'm not whining but;
> Today I was told by my friendly Discount Tire Store salesman that it was
> against the law for me to get a tube put in my tire which I thought wire
> wheels necessitated.  He refused to even listen to what I had to say.
> What's a poor boy supposed to do?  I guess I'll have to resort to one of
> those back-alley tire stores where it's not sterile and....
>
> Shawn Tobin
> '69 Midget 5spd daily driver

There is something to be said about dealing with the same people/business
all of the time.  I get almost all of my tires at the same 1 man shop I
have
been using for 20 years.  I always buy my electrical supplies at the same
electric parts place (only place that carries circuit breakers for my
house). I have used the same kennel for my dog for the last 10 years, etc.
My wife always used the same taylor who is very, very good.
The advantage of this is the tire guy will make room for me in an
emergency.
When my wife got very sick and I had to kennel the dog, they took the dog
without an appointment even though he could not go into the regular
kennel because the dog just had his knee rebuilt.  She had to crate
the dog and keep him in her house.  She had to leash walk the dog 4 times
a day since he could not run off lead.  She did all this no questions
asked.

My point is the little shops and people will give you great service if you
are a regular customer.   If you always shop price and have no loyalty to a
shop you are just another number, and to a large chain you might as well
just
be another hassle.  Sure it might cost a bit more, but if you find a
competent business person it really pays to build a relationship with them.
Sometimes the advice alone is worth the extra cost.

Bill Gilroy
77 Midget
90 Shar-Pei with an almost healed wheel