Re: Club Apathy (relatively long)

To: "Curtis Carlson" <carlson@navtech.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Club Apathy (relatively long)
From: "Larry Miller" <millerls@ado13.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 09:10:01 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Curtis,
I think most clubs suffer from this problem. We (Pebble Beach Sports Car
Club) are a "multi-marquee" club, make that an "any-marquee", so it's not
just LBC clubs.

We increased attendance at meetings by sending a post card to all members a
few days prior to the meeting as a reminder.

Social events get the best response. We have an annual BBQ after the
pre-historic's and a Christmas party that draw from 30% to 50% of the
members.

We are lucky to get 10% at events that involve the cars. We have a core
group that attends everything and quite often they are the only ones that
show.

Our best attended car events are simple ones like a poker or clue ralley. I
suspect this is because we usually have free food and drink at the end.
These typically draw better that just plain driving tours.

If you come up with ideas that work, please pass them on to me.

Larry Miller
http://www.ado13.com
It's more fun to chase a cat than to catch one.