Re: Club Apathy (relatively long) (reply long too)

To: David Riker <davidr@sunset.net>
Subject: Re: Club Apathy (relatively long) (reply long too)
From: type79@ix.netcom.com
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 09:42:05 -0400
Cc: Curtis Carlson <carlson@navtech.com>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
David,
Excellent ideas, all of them.

Unfortunately the bio's of your local clubs sound all too familiar.

I found your closing statement, which is copied below, to be the most poignant.
The President of our local club once publicly "thanked" all of those who don't
attend meets for "paying for our parties". This remark was not missed by many.

In my experience, all too often, club officers feel they are entitled to
disburse club funds on expenses that ultimately equate to perks for themselves
that have nothing to do with the mission of the club and provide no direct or
even indirect benefit to members. I won't elaborate here, but the club-officer
that lurk know what I am talking about. (This has always bothered me and to this
day, no club officer has ever been able to justify those expenses.)

Bottom Line: Keep the clubs and their events simple, entertaining, and a
reflection of the average member's desires. Also keep involvement affordable for
the average Joe; We're not driving Bentleys here.

Probably in trouble again, but to quote the Unknown Comic: "Who Cares!"

Jay Fishbein, CT
AN-5
HAN-6
Innocenti-S
Lotus 7

David Riker wrote:
<most of the time it will just be the core group planning and working the
different functions.  But don't rub it in the noses of those who can't help, or
they will stop coming to the events.

Bottom line, the events have to be fun, or whats the point?
David Riker
74 Midget
78 Midget
63 Falcon>